All of this is good but I have to learn not to try to fool myself that this won't impact on my PhD progress. I am very bad at saying no to things, I love working with motivated people on interesting projects, I get a bit giddy and says yes when I really shouldn't. The last 6 months has been a perfect case in point, it has left me worn out with a nagging feeling that I haven't done a good enough job on any of the projects, a long To do list and a key PhD milestone looming.
I have recently asked an acquaintance if they would act as a professional mentor, this input has really helped me clarify my priorities and it was immensely helpful hearing someone impartial/objective reiterating that I need to focus on my PhD and what would happen if I didn't.
The forthcoming PhD milestone is a 9000 word account of what I've done so far and exactly what else I plan to do, it is the point after which I can no longer change my plans. It marks 24 months since I enrolled and I think it's the point at which I need to stop saying "My PhD? Well I've only just started really...." I think the process of pulling this report together will force me to map out the next 12-24 months. At 48 months I should be writing up; a sobering thought given how fast the last 24 months have gone and how little I feel I have to show for it!
So in an effort to reinforce this message to myself I am writing in down.
Before I say yes to anything I must remember;
- The PhD is the focus.
- It is essential for my own credibility.
- It is essential for career progression.
- I do actually really enjoy it!
- It is a personal goal that needs to be achieved.
- Non-completion is something that I would regret for the rest of my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment